My two cities

07:41 Liliana Teixeira 7 Comments

For my first post, I have decided to compare the two cities that are the closest to my heart. I have been jumping between Gent and Aveiro for the past 1 year and a half. Why? I have been living in Aveiro (Portugal) since I am 5 years, but last year I have decided to do Erasmus in Gent (Belgium).
So what is so special about these two cities? Besides the fact that they are so beautiful, they both received me with open arms and became my home.
Aveiro is the city where I grew up, where I did all my education, including University, and where I made friends for life. This town feels more like home than the city where I was born.
Gent is the city where I freed myself. Where I experienced the most, where I learned a lot by myself and where I have discovered who I am and what I am capable of. I think that is why I have prolonged my stay in Gent for another 6 months. I can no longer live without this city.
I wonder if I like Gent so much because it reminds me of Aveiro. So I will show you what are the similarities between these two amazing cities. Hopefully, I will convince you to visit them.

The canals

Both these cities have amazing canals. People seat beside the river and have small talks. Boats go around the river, as a way for the visitants to discover the cities more profoundly. 
Canals of Gent
Canals of Aveiro

The Architecture

Although both cities have completely different architecture, their city centers are both breathtaking because of it. The quirky houses and the marvelous monuments are one of the things that make these cities so special.
Gent city center
Aveiro city center

The Bicycles

Aveiro is the city of Portugal with the most number of people riding bikes. Gent is a typical Flanders city, so everyone has their one bike. I have always hated to ride a bike, but Gent obliged me to buy one, and I have learned to love it. Whenever I go to Portugal I miss being able to go everywhere with a bike without any worries. 

Typical Belgian bike

The Universities 

Aveiro and Gent are both student cities. Many are the students that come from different parts of the countries to study there. Also, they have a big Erasmus community. The students fill the cities with life and excitement.
Bioscience engineering faculty - University of Gent
Chemistry department - University of Aveiro
I love both these cities so much. If you haven't visited them, I suggest you put them in your bucket list.


All pictures were taken by me, except the last one which was taken by my dear friend Raquel Saborano. Check out her Photography page:
https://www.facebook.com/rsaboranophotography/?pnref=lhc 

7 comentários: